Saturday, July 15, 2006

Dallas for a Day - Part Two

I didn't have a bad meal the entire trip. Nice!

Grotto is an Italian restaurant located on McKinney in the Uptown Plaza. They have a large menu and all pasta is made in-house. I chose the Ravioli Alla Vodka and it was exceptionally good; the fresh pasta makes all the difference. My husband had the Pork Chop Milanese, which has to be the most evenly pounded to thin pork chop I've ever seen. While very mild in flavor, it was tender and quite tasty. We saw the desert cart pass by before we ordered, so it was obvious saving a little room was important. The pata a choux pastries were very good, but the toffee cake was even more memorable.

Room service breakfast at Hotel Zaza was very good. The homemade granola is a must, and the bread basket also is a good choice if you're in a hurry. Also the applewood smoked bacon was well worth the price.

Ruth's Chris Steak House. I just don't think I can explain how good this place is. Yes, it's a chain, I know I said I'd avoid chains. But they do have their place, and this one's place is right up there on the top end of my list.
My love affair with Ruth's began a few years ago, when we "discovered" this smaller chain at their location in Baltimore. I haven't found a consistently better steak anywhere, and believe me it's not for a lack of effort. My husband and I along with a small group of friends chase after that prize of a perfect steak and the standard test it must pass is the one big question: "Is it better than Ruth's?" While it might be good, and I've found a few get very close to being equal, none have been better. When I find that elusive flawless piece of perfectly cooked beef, you'll know.
While they do serve a fabulous steak, their garlic mashed potatoes, potato chips (where available), BBQ shrimp and Creme Brulee are all also exceptional.

No comments: