Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

I'm not much of one for new year's resolutions, but this year I do intend to make better use of the stacks of cookbooks in my kitchen and try out some new recipes. Thanks to a generous family I have a wide range of books to choose from when I'm perusing for a new dish. I'm also lucky to have a very understanding husband, who will bravely sample whatever it is I may put on the plate and call "dinner." As he says, if it's not a real winner there's always pizza delivery. I owe him dearly for some of my experiments, although the time between disasters is steadily growing longer.

My newest additions to the resource stack include "I Like You" by Amy Sedaris and On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee.
The book by Amy Sedaris combines her quirky sense of humor with a variety of recipes and tips for entertaining. The second book, by Harold McGee is the ultimate reference tool for the hard-core kitchen junkie.

While cookbooks are a wonderful tool, I have to admit I do regularly rely on the convenience of the world of recipes at my fingertips. If I have a specific set of ingredients handy I can easily find something interesting to do with them or find a recipe that provides a starting point. There is something to be said for having a real book in your hands. I have the odd habit of reading cookbooks like they're novels. I'll read a good one cover to cover. Take for example virtually anything by Alton Brown. He adds enough personality and useful information into his books to make it worthwhile to read them cover to cover.

So pick up a cookbook and take to your kitchen for a new taste at dinner. Do what I did tonight, starting with plans to get myself back into the kitchen tomorrow night for a new, exciting and healthier meal rather than just heating up the leftovers from tonight's pizza.

It's easy to talk big... it's easier to order pizza.
But it's more fun to make the pizza from scratch.

No comments: